Monday, May 30, 2011

Deeper Feelings on Memorial Day

As we prepare this mourning here in America to honor those who lost their lives in the many wars we have fought, I ready myself for the flood of emotion that often fills me as I watch the parade of veterans glide past my Main Street home today. “Service to country,” “honor,” “valor,” “ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy,” all these words and phrases taught to me back when I was a child fill my mind and bring tears to my eyes. And then the flood of deeper feelings washes over me.

The loss that a mother might feel whose son was killed defending some unnamed hill in North Korea; the abandonment a child might feel whose father will never come home from some far away jungle in Vietnam; the betrayal an eighteen year old soldier might feel who left limbs in some dusty inconsequential town in Iraq. These are some of other human tolls of war, frequently unmeasured and forgotten when we take into account the cost of conflicts that are so often started for economic and/or ideological reasons and that devastate whole populations of innocent and mostly poor people for years or even generations to come.

We humans seem to have a proclivity for warring. Why is it so easy to make up our minds to war, to drive these huge economic and social institutions towards death and destruction and so hard to feel enough love for ourselves and each other to stand up and say “enough;” and in that breath, help lead our countries policies away from all this violence? Love is not a political issue, love is a human issue.

The practices of the Love, Loss and Forgiveness Project might just be one such catalyst, using love to help us heal enough- to make us strong enough- to stand up for ourselves and others and help make a difference in our world.

No comments:

"An International Movement Inspiring the Mortal - Soul - Spirit in us all."

"An International Movement Inspiring the Mortal - Soul - Spirit in us all."