Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cracks and muscles

Mortal, Soul, and Spirit — the Love, Loss, and Forgiveness Project unites these three aspects of ourselves into a trinity of well-being and inner strength. The Mortal is our physical self, the one that eats and breathes, toils and dances, and must eventually die. For each of us, the Mortal takes the guise of one gender or the other, but what the Soul and Spirit recognize is that within each of us we possess both the feminine and the masculine. The Soul is that feminine part of us that can love unconditionally and gaze in rapt attention at another without judging, and feel the heart fill. The Spirit, our masculine energy, is the voice of inspiration and enthusiasm, the nudge that prods us to live life and meet our destiny.

When I began in LLF earlier this year, I was astonished by how little I was acquainted with my own soul and spirit. Although the idea that each of us embodies male and female energy was not new to me, I only knew it as an idea, an abstract concept carried in my head. For me, as for so many others, my intellect had become not a way to engage with life but a clever means of escaping it. I began to see this as the exercises of Love, Loss, and Forgiveness had their effect on me, which was first to crack the thick crust that had formed over my inner life. As Leonard Cohen says, the cracks are how the light gets in; very quickly, I began to feel alive in ways I had longed for but had not known how to achieve.

Once Soul is stirred, life takes on a texture and depth that feels almost miraculous. My emotions woke up to a different space. As I have begun to feel more deeply within myself, I find I am able to respond more genuinely to the outer world. One aspect of our personal soul is the way it connects to the souls of others, and to the larger mystery of Soul that unites everyone and everything. It's a thing called Love. As Soul has come alive in me, my spirit, which before had been largely a mechanism of responsibility, duty, and stymied dreams, has begun to grow its muscles as well. I have experienced a new level of creativity, confidence, and courage, outward manifestations of Spirit. Spirit animates the world, literally sets it in motion. And so we can begin.  — Timothy Cahill  

5 comments:

John Carlson said...

Bravo, Tim. It is great to live life alive to it and a joy to read your words of encouragement and inspiration.

Timothy Cahill said...

Hi John. The best news is that my experience is not at all unique. LLF is not for a select few; far from it. I'd say most people would find meaning and benefit in the work.

Unknown said...

Hallo Tim, with your cracks that let the light in I have to think of "it is so dark that I can see the stars all around me". Thanks for your inspiration.

Katharine Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katharine Wilson said...

Tim, what a beautiful and stirring piece. Your account of the Love, Loss and Forgiveness Project over the past few months resonates with me as I too have felt the light shifting and shining in through the cracks and awakening to, as you wrote, “a new level of creativity, confidence and courage.” Thank you for sharing the language as well as for the deft and grace with which you have articulated this adventure.

"An International Movement Inspiring the Mortal - Soul - Spirit in us all."

"An International Movement Inspiring the Mortal - Soul - Spirit in us all."