Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Gazing Blindly

I have a good friend, no, Great Friend, named Jan. Eight years ago this vibrant woman, with whom I shared a once-a-month lunch and hours of good honest conversation as she mentored me through my new experiences in school administration, became gravely ill. She ended up in the hospital, in a coma for a month, rehab centers for several more and then into nursing facilities where she has lived her life bed-ridden ever since. She has lost her sight but she can still "see". Somehow, when I walk into her room, before I even say anything, she knows how I am. When I am about to leave she always thanks me for the visit. I in turn always thank her for the time together, because when this blind friend "gazes" at me-and she does gaze at me- I know that I am loved.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Friendships like this, friendships that outstrip the vain glory of our bodies are the best. I'm new here from Marylinn's blog and pleased to read about such sensitivities.

jhailstone said...

I'm glad your blind friend has developed her other sense of feeling to the extent that she knew how you were feeling. We should all try to be less blind and more seeing into the feelings of others.

"An International Movement Inspiring the Mortal - Soul - Spirit in us all."

"An International Movement Inspiring the Mortal - Soul - Spirit in us all."